10 Aug Is Painting Kitchen Cabinets a Good Idea?
Kitchens are one of the most important and most frequently used rooms in a house. From cooking meals to entertaining and making memories with friends and family, it’s no wonder the kitchen is called the heart of the home. Over time, this everyday usage can lead to worn out and faded cabinets. Plus, styles tend to change over the years, causing kitchens to quickly look outdated.
Giving your kitchen cabinets a fresh coat of paint and installing new hardware can completely transform the space. But don’t run out to your local hardware store just yet. Here are a few considerations to keep in mind when deciding if you should paint your kitchen cabinets.
Pros and Cons of Painting Kitchen Cabinets
Before you start choosing a color palette for your new kitchen cabinets, be sure to weigh the pros and cons first.
The pros of painting kitchen cabinets include:
- Customization: When you paint your cabinets, you have the opportunity to completely customize your new space. Whether you choose one color or select different hues for the top and bottom cabinets, you can easily create a unique design with just a few cans of paint.
- Save money: Purchasing paint costs much less than removing your old cabinets and having new ones installed. Painting kitchen cabinets gives you a new look without the cost of a full remodel.
- Higher resale value: If your cabinets are prepped and painted properly, they will look just like new. If you decide to sell your home, your upgraded kitchen will contribute to a higher resale value.
The cons of painting kitchen cabinets include:
- Time: Painting kitchen cabinets is not a simple one-day DIY project. If you want the new paint job to last and look good, there are many steps that need to be carefully followed. Steps include removing all the drawers and doors, thoroughly cleaning everything, sanding, priming and then painting. Sometimes, multiple coats will be needed.
- Inconsistent quality: Painting will not work on all types of cabinets. While solid wood cabinets are easy to paint, once they are painted you can’t go back to their original wood finish. If your cabinets have any kind of stain or polyurethane finish, painting them will not be ideal.
- Paintbrushes can leave marks: The best way to paint cabinets is with a spray gun. Since most homeowners don’t have access to one, they will most likely use a standard paintbrush. Keep in mind that paintbrushes can leave brush marks, which won’t look as professional.
Contact Neighborhood Painting for a Free Estimate
Since 2002, Neighborhood Painting has been serving homeowners throughout the Kansas City Metro area. By following our innovative two-step painting process, we ensure homeowners experience the highest quality result.
If you are interested in painting your kitchen cabinets, our team can help ensure the finished product is crisp and professional. To receive a free estimate or free professional color consultation, reach out to us today!